dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

flash sudoku solver
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoppaPoppa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Bram's flash solver Reply with quote

Nice look and feel to your flash solver, Bram but dude it blew up on Monday's Nov 7 "very hard" puzzle! Even after I fed additional numbers it couldn't do it.
PoppaPoppa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Brad's Flash solver - part 2 Reply with quote

I apologize for my last posting. Brad's solver worked fine on the Nov 7 puzzle. I had input it incorrectly! Embarassed

Sorry! Nice program!
David Bryant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Multiple browser windows Reply with quote

AlanR555 wrote:
It would not be so bad if there were a way to have open both DRAW and the forum at the same time (like having Word and Excel together). Does anyone have the secret on how to have the forum and DRAW both displayed? Then one could enter the digits into DRAW directly from the screen display and reduce the chance of transcription errors.

How about opening two browser windows? You can do this with every browser I'm familiar with, from the "File" menu.

The only problem I've had with this approach was getting everything I need to see displayed on the screen at the same time. But I can make it work, by changing the size of the windows. Oh -- I'm running my CRT at 1024 x 768 -- it might not work so well at 800 x 600. dcb
AZ Matt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone_somewhere posted a puzzle on Oct 30 (above) that I just got around to seeing. He said he broke his teeth on it, so I know it’s tough.

But do we know this puzzle is “solvable”? (Using the very broadest definition.)

I too saw how to eliminate the 5 as a candidate from six cells -- though I didn’t see it as a swordfish. Interestingly, because of the placement of the given 5s, the six-cell elimination gives you no really helpful information. It was fun, though.

David Bryant (or anyone else, but he raised the issue) – How is this a swordfish? I got to here with 5s as candidates.

000 005 500
000 055 505
000 000 000

000 000 000
050 000 500
550 000 505

550 055 000
000 000 000
050 005 000

I circled each 5 that could be coupled with only one other 5 in each row and column. From there it was fairly easy to see that each un-circled 5 resulted in a contradiction and could be eliminated as a candidate (r2c6, r2c7, r6c2, r6c7, r7c2, r7c7).

I suppose I see now that it is a sort-of double swordfish – I think.

In any event, has anyone made any progress…?

PS/FYI: “card203” appears to be a fairy sprinkling poker-link dust…
David Bryant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: This puzzle was discussed elsewhere Reply with quote

Hi, AZ Matt! I'm glad you came out from under your desk at work long enough to ask about the "Bix X" puzzle! Smile

A guest named Mars Plastic was looking for a very hard puzzle, so I popped this one on him a couple of weeks ago, and he came up with a (very tough, but impressively elegant) way to solve it. You can read that discussion starting right here.

The swordfish in the "5"s is in row 1, row 5, and row 9 -- specifically, in r1c6 & r1c7, in r5c2 & r5c7, and in r9c2 & r9c6. These are six points of a "complete" swordfish that could lie in r1c2, r1c6, & r1c7 + r5c2, r5c6, & r5c7 + r9c2, r9c6, & r9c7. But these six points are enough to define the pattern -- we know the "5" in column 2 must lie in r5c2 or r9c2, that the "5" in column 6 must lie in r1c6 or r9c6, and that the "5" in column 7 must lie in r1c7 or r5c7. So we can eliminate "5" from the six cells you mentioned.

Have you read the description of a swordfish at Sad Man Software? That's a pretty good introduction. dcb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: