dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Squiggly Sudokus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku Squiggly puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hockeyfish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Squiggly Sudoku Reply with quote

I was just coming in to suggest something to do with askew or skewed (suduku askew) because of the similar sound and rhythm but I read the skewedukos post and think that might even be better
Frosted

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Squiggly Solver Reply with quote

I built a solver for these in Excel.

I know, it's cheating and missing the point and all that. However, my twisted mind derives greater joy from coming up with such a solution that it does from Sudoku. Pity me, if you must.

http://sgt.cc
mother superior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: squiggles Reply with quote

gerrymandered ... that's a good one

I was going to suggest "Catty Wampus"
RogerC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: New name for Squigglies Reply with quote

Who cares what they are called - they're great!

What was it Shakespeare said? Something like "Rows by any other name"

Laughing
john bm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Squiggly Sudokus Reply with quote

samgj wrote:
I finally got fed up with all the email about these! The 9x9 puzzles with odd shaped boxes, like the Christmas seasonal specials, have made a comeback. Available in the archive, they're currently called Squiggly Sudokus. Please feel free to suggest alternative names for consideration!

Sam

I would like to suggest "KRAZE" to sort of describe to mania over this sudoku variation and also to depict the odd-shaped boxes. If you put them together, "KRAZE SUDOKU", it sounds very much like the shape of the puzzle and make sense of what every daily solver feels about discovering the answers ! So let's KRAZU-DOKU
stone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about "Spider"?

or more classic one, "irregular"
mother superior

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: squiggles Reply with quote

How about pseudoku?
Monster Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Squiggly Sudokus Reply with quote

I say the name should be
Code:
 Loony Squigle Sudokus
addicted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: new squiggly name Reply with quote

Jigsaw or Puzzle
Snoop Dogg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: new name Reply with quote

Squiggle Nizzle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are "shaepely" or "curvy"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are "shapely" or "curvey" sudokus.
Rod Montgomery

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: New Sqiggly name Reply with quote

Self inflicted killers that they are and in keeping with the Japanese name, how about Arrow Seppuko Sudoku
sudoku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: squigglies Reply with quote

deb wrote:
I love this type of sudoku. Are there any more sites where I can find similar as I have done all the ones on the "Daily Sudoku" link

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about "9x9 Sudoku with iregularly shaped boxes and an unimaginative name"?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe "Nonominoes Sudoku," the boxes look like pentominoes but with 9 squares... Confused

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"sexy sudoku"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unboxed Sudoku's
eubielicious

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Skewedokus Reply with quote

I personally like the Skewedoku name. Anyway they are great.

I prefer them to all the others, although some of them are really mindbending the only ones I really don't like are the 16x16 ones, when you have F's and 0's in the box, it's hard.

On the Squiggly front, I tend to deal with them on a row by row, column by column basis, by finding the numbers which are present in greatest number and working out in which rows/columns they need to be placed, then trying to work out the possibilities for each of those rows/columns. Then I look at each of the shapes in turn where I have more than, say, 5 numbers and try to work out which are missing and so on...

Then I have to resort to writing in the possibilities!!!

But - keep up the good work! The only grumble I have is that Bradford Council have blocked it on their intranet!!!!!! Now what will I do in my tea breaks!??!?!?

Euan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for supplying us with a daily dose of those! I do not really mind whatever name, as long as the challenge stays the same!

One thing I do find helpful is marking somehow differently with a pencil the numbers in cells that do have to go in a row or column or, for example very softly, those which just have to be somewhere in a certain area, but have differnet options. Consequenty you can remove a lot of possibilities and the squigglies get a lot easier. I like the hard or very hard ones, although I must admit they do take a little longer than the square ones and I do make mistakes sometimes since they are more confusing somehow. But after doing a few of those the square ones seem a little too straightforward, almost boring. Solved the very hard on April 3rd in a few minutes...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku Squiggly puzzles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: