dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hidden pairs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allenk30

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Hidden pairs Reply with quote

Can someone please give me an example of a 'hidden pair'. I keep seeing that term. Thanks
geoff h

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gday Allen,

Hidden pairs refer to a pair of numbers that only appear in two cells. For example, consider the following row of 9 cells and the various numbers that are possibilities for each cell;

12 356 1457 26 1478 189 356 569 235

In this example, there is a hidden pair of 4 and 7 in cell number 3 and cell number 5. They can only be a hidden pair if both numbers are not to be found as possibilities in any other cell. So, where they are useful is in removing other numbers as possibilities. In the above example, it is logical that the numbers 4 and 7 must appear in cell numbers 3 and 5.
Therefore, you can exclude the numbers 1 and 5 from cell number 3 and the numbers 1 and 8 from cell number 5.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that helps. I guess that can be expanded to triplets as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: