dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dozens
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Victor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Dozens Reply with quote

Hope you like this one, M3723414 (108)
After basics:

Code:

+--------------+---------------+-----------------+
| 26  1   29   | 89  7     5   | 2689  3    4    |
| 5   3   279  | 6   4     128 | 12789 1278 1279 |
| 267 4   8    | 19  12    3   | 12679 1267 5    |
| 78  9   5    | 2   18    6   | 1478  1478 3    |
| 3   278 6    | 4   5     178 | 1278  9    127  |
| 1   278 4    | 3   9     78  | 5     2678 267  |
| 9   5   127  | 17  126   4   | 3     1267 8    |
| 4   78  1237 | 178 12368 9   | 1267  5    1267 |
| 278 6   1237 | 5   1238  128 | 12479 1247 1279 |

Play this puzzle online at the Daily Sudoku site
nataraj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First an ER (box 7) kills 2 in r2c3 (via strong link in col 6). Alas, nothing after that. How about this not-quite-xy-wing then:

Pincers 89 in r1c4 and 78 in r8c2.
If r1c4<>8 then r1c3=2 then r1c1=6 then r3c1=7 then r4c1=8 then r56c2<>8 then r8c2=8.

Therefore r8c4<>8 which gives a naked pair 17 in col 4 and a few steps later I found a kite to remove 8 from r4c5.

Nice going, but here , again, a difficult position:
Code:

+--------------------------+--------------------------+--------------------------+
| 2       1       9        | 8       7       5        | 6       3       4        |
| 5       3       7        | 6       4       1        | 289     28      29       |
| 6       4       8        | 9       2       3        | 17      17      5        |
+--------------------------+--------------------------+--------------------------+
| 78      9       5        | 2       1       6        | 478     478     3        |
| 3       278     6        | 4       5       78       | 1278    9       127      |
| 1       278     4        | 3       9       78       | 5       6       27       |
| 9       5       12       | 17      6       4        | 3       127     8        |
| 4       78      123      | 17      38      9        | 127     5       6        |
| 78      6       13       | 5       38      2        | 1479    147     179      |

In order to avoid the DP 28-78-27 in r56c269, either r56c2=7 or r5c9=1.
If r56c2=7 then r4c1=8 then naked pair 47 in r4c78. Either way, r5c9<>7.

This leads to a skyscraper (col 1 and 9) in 7 and that finally solves the puzzle.

I am curious to find out what you guys did, especially how to avoid that first grouped AIC.
Steve R

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The X-wing on 8 in columns 1 and 5 eliminates 8 from r9c6. This leaves its candidates as (12), matching r3c5 and forming a W-wing using the conjugates with respect to 1 in column 4.

The W-wing places 2 r3c5 but the X-wing/skyscraper on 7 is still needed to complete the puzzle.

Thanks, Victor.

Steve
nataraj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve R wrote:
The X-wing on 8 in columns 1 and 5 eliminates 8 from r9c6.

There are 3 8s in col 5. Can't be an x-wing, at least not immediately from Victor's grid?
Steve R

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think perhaps you know it as a skyscraper rather than a (finned) X-wing.

Steve
nataraj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finned! of course!

neat.

Thx, Steve

____

N.B. The "un-finned" or original X-wing looks like this (click to get full article) Very Happy Exclamation

Quote:
The X-wing takes its name from its pair of double-layered wings, deployed into the familiar X formation for combat.
Steve R

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s interesting.

This is Wayne Gould in Extreme Su Doku (Harper Collins, 2007):

Quote:
“When I was working on my program, I devised a new solving technique which I nicknamed X-Wings. At least, it seemed new to me. The idea was sparked after studying puzzles on a few Japanese websites. In a given collection of perhaps 100 puzzles, all were solveable with known techniques, bar one. At first I assumed that the puzzle was faulty. Perhaps it had been entered into the website with a typo.

After closer examination, I discovered that the puzzle could be solved with what I know call X-Wings. Did the owners of the website intend the puzzle to be solveable with X-Wings? If so, why was the puzzle not #100 in the collection, instead of being buried in the middle somewhere? Or was the puzzle simply a mistake which just happened to be solveable with an advanced technique that had not been anticipated?

Certainly, Nikoli and Gakken (the publishers) did not use X-Wings in their puzzles. However, just before I went public with my program, the Japanese puzzle-master Tetsuya Nishio came out with a book which included three X-Wing puzzles. I'm still not clear whether I devised X-Wings as an original technique or whether I unwittingly picked up on something Testuya Nishio had already devised.

In any event, I called the technique 'X-Wings' because the diagonal struts of the pattern reminded me of the shape of the X-Wing fighters of Star Wars fame. You might see what I mean when you study the X-Wing.”

I’m not sure that the last paragraph carries the same meaning as your quotation. What do you think?

At any rate I should be interested to know the origin of the quotation.

Steve
Victor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working from Nataraj's grid:
There is a UR elimination of the 7 in r5c2 (to avoid a DP of 78s in R56C2^, but I don't think it helps much. I too needed a finned thing in 7s, based on R49C19 to finish (killing the 7s in r4c78). Isn't it called a sashimi finned x-w, because the 7 in r4c9 is actually missing?

And to start with, I just used 2 ERs, one to kill the 2 in r2c3, the other the 8 in r9c6, which as you've pointed out gives a pair of 12s which are linked .... equivalently? - wish we'd a word for a TT/FF link like this. (I actually noted that now R9C6 = 1 => R3C5 = 1 AND R4C5 = 1, which => R9C6 <> 1.)
Asellus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor wrote:
Isn't it called a sashimi finned x-w, because the 7 in r4c9 is actually missing?

Yes, it is a Sashimi X-Wing.

A Skyscraper can be seen as a Sashimi X-Wing with a single-cell fin.

Victor wrote:
wish we'd a word for a TT/FF link like this.

You can call it a grouped strong link.

For instance, a 2-cell finned Sashimi X-Wing (as here) can be seen as a sort of Skyscraper with a grouped strong link.
Earl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: dozens Reply with quote

Is there such a thing as a "finned skyscraper?"

In Nataraj's grid, consider the 7's in C19.
If R5C9 is not a 7, the resultant skyscraper eliminates 7's in R4C78;
If R5C9 is a 7, the same 7's are also eliminated.

Am I correct? Is there a name for it?

"Earl's Skyscraper?"

Earl

Last edited by Earl on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
nataraj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve R wrote:

I’m not sure that the last paragraph carries the same meaning as your quotation. What do you think?

Yes, definitely.

I'm not a Star Wars addict myself but when I googled for x-wing most references turned out to be the Star Wars fighter plane. And I thought it made sense too, with the rectangular pattern of the sudoku x-wing.
Asellus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earl wrote:
Is there such a thing as a "finned skyscraper?"

That's what I meant by "a sort of Skyscraper with a grouped strong link." It certainly works to think of it as a "finned skyscraper." But, it's already well-known (perhaps less confusingly) as a Sashimi X-Wing so doesn't really need the new name.
Victor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with anyone who said that seeing this sort of thing as a "grouped skyscraper" is easier than as a finned x-w. But Sashimi sort of rolls of the tongue!
Victor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asellus, about the only thing you've written of which I think "Mmmm - not sure" is this:
Quote:
You can call it a grouped strong link.
of a name for a TT/FF link (even no. of steps in an all-conjugate chain such as plain colouring).

I'm sure that every discipline that uses set theory in general, Boolean algebra in particular, has names / symbols for the things they're particularly interested in. E.g. Logic gates in computing use NAND (Not 1 AND 1) for what we call a weak link, etc. I'd forgotten what the inverse of EOR / XOR (= conjugate) was called but looked it up - XNOR apparently, which I suppose is a bit better that NXOR or NEOR or ENOR, but doesn't have a nice ring.

We all think differently, & I happen to like thinking in terms of links - Weak, Conjugate, Strong, and XNOR of the bi-directional ones. XNOR is no good, but 'Grouped Strong' doesn't roll off the tongue either!
Asellus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor,

I think we may be talking apples and oranges here.

I was referring to the sort of link that exists, for example, in an ER:
Code:
~ ~ a
~ ~ b      or     ~ a b | ~ ~ ~ | c d e
e d c

In the ER (on the left) the grouped abc cells are strongly linked with the grouped cde cells. (It is an inferential strong link, not a conjugate link.) In the row (on the right) the grouped ab cells are strongly linked with the grouped cde cells. (In this case, it is conjugate, so is also weak.)

I now suspect you are talking about something else:
Code:
 .  .  . | . .  .
 .  .  . | . .  .
 . a34 . | . .  .
--------+---------
 .  .  . | . .  .
 . b34 . | . . c34
 .  .  . | . .  .

Given the three matching bivalue cells shown, the <3>s in ac are either both true or both false. (The same is true of the <4>s.) I don't know of a name for such a link. It seems to me that it isn't of much use in a solution.
Victor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say, Asellus, apples & oranges. Silly of me really - I do know what a grouped link is. I don't quite agree with you about the lack of usefulness of the sort of link that I meant. If nothing else, it's the basis for Keith's splendid M-wings. In your abc 34 example, b could be 74 say. Because the 4s are * linked, then so are the 3s: now you can continue colouring on 3s. In general, I have met chains of all-conjugate links: if there's an even number of links, then you can (for instance) continue the chain with a strong link in either direction to get a valid AIC, because you can think of an even number of conjugate links as Either weak then strong Or strong then weak. So although I totally agree that these links aren't of much use, I think they are of some use. In his M-wing thread Keith calls this link complementary, but I'm not enthusiastic about that term (love the idea, don't like this name).

And to finish, THE most confusing thing I found when I was reading up about new techniques was the terminology for links / inferences - e.g. "There's a strong link from Cell A to Cell B in number x, but actually it's a weak link." I once made the mistake of treating a strong link (ends of an XY-chain as far as I remember) as a conjugate link & tried to continue colouring an odd number of steps from each end. And I'm not the only one - I've seen other people make this sort of mistake. There are just 4 kinds of bi-directional link that we meet (I think). Why not have a distinct and appropriate name for each? It would protect us from the kinds of mistake I've mentioned.
Asellus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor,

I am afraid the M-Wing is not a good example of the usefulness of this "complementary" sort of link. An M-Wing is a simple AIC involving only the usual strong and weak inferences. The presence of the "complementary" link in the structure is an artifact of the bivalue cell pattern that the M-Wing involves.

In my abc {34} schematic, I did not assume that the <3>s or the <4>s are strongly linked with each other in any way. The cells marked with "." can be anything. However, if you replace "b" with {47} then, indeed, the <4>s in c2 and in r5 must be strongly linked in order to have the "complementary" link between the "ac" <3>s.

The pincers at the ends of, say, an XY Chain have a strong inference between them (and are not a conjugate pair), as you note. This means that they are each attached to the ends of an AIC (that of the XY Chain for instance) with a strong link.

In the case of a "complementary" link pair, they are attached to the ends of an AIC with dissimilar links: one weak and one strong. I know you are not fond of Eureka, but...

In the case of the three "abc" {34} bivalues, we can write:
(3=4)r3c2-(4=3)r5c2-(3)r5c6
or we can write:
(3)r3c2-(3=4)r5c2-(4=3)r5c6
Reading from left to right, in the first chain, the <3>s on the ends are both false. In the second chain, they are both true. Note that the <4>s in the row and column do not need to be conjugates.

Now, with {47} at "b", we must have conjugate <4>s in the row and column and the AICs are different:
(3=4)r3c2-(4)r5c2=(4-3)r5c6
or
(3-4)r3c2=(4)r5c2-(4=3)r5c6
Again, in the first chain both <3>s are false and in the second both are true. In the first chain, the <4>s in r5 must be conjugate and in the second the <4>s in c2 must be conjugate. Since the "complementary" link depends upon both of these chains, then both the r5 and c2 <4>s must be conjugate.

It is true that you could use this "complementary" link in <3> coloring to "jump" in your color chain (using them to have two adjoining "red" or two adjoining "green" <3>s). This amounts to a "multi-coloring shortcut." As such, then I suppose it is useful.
tlanglet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve R wrote:
The X-wing on 8 in columns 1 and 5 eliminates 8 from r9c6. This leaves its candidates as (12), matching r3c5 and forming a W-wing using the conjugates with respect to 1 in column 4.

Steve,

Starting with the code after basics as originally posted by Victor, I had found the finned X-wing and noticed the possible W-wing on <12> in r3c5 & r9c6, but I did not find a strong link in either <12>. After reading your input, I reviewed the code again and still do not see the strong link one <1> in column 4; Box 7 has a <1> in both r78 and not in r9. I assume it is an implicit link of some sort that I still do not fully understand/appreciate. Could you please clarify this for me?

Ted
CORUJA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: DOZENS Reply with quote

Thanks for the fine discussion! Learned a lot!
Seems I finally understood what a skyscraper is.
Asellus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
I reviewed the code again and still do not see the strong link one <1>

The strong link is in box 5. The easiest way to see this sort of W-Wing is to note that <1> is not present in r456c4. Since <1> must be in either r456c5 or r456c6, one or both of the {12} bivalues must be <2>.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Other puzzles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: